Industrial Base Working Group Launches Supplier Checklist
November 20, 2023 – The Health Industry Distributors Association (HIDA) today launched a Supplier Checklist to help healthcare providers and public partners vet suppliers of healthcare products.
When medical products are constrained or in short supply, offers from unknown sources fill inboxes across the supply chain. Navigating these offers is difficult, especially during times of crisis. During the COVID-19 pandemic, providers reported receiving incorrect product, poor quality items, or counterfeit items that failed to protect staff from disease risks.
Medical product distributors have experience vetting suppliers and can be a resource. The HIDA Supplier Checklist contains criteria and best practices to perform due diligence on prospective suppliers. Key questions to ask include:
- Are you able to demonstrate proof of FDA or other agency regulatory compliance?
- Are you able/willing to host a site visit for potential commercial or public sector partner?
- How long have you or your source manufactured medical supplies?
- Can you provide information on inventory?
- Can you provide samples of products from multiple lots?
- Can you provide copies of customer invoices with specific products listed?
- Can you provide a copy of your quality manual?
- Can you provide the company’s W-9 and applicable business licenses in the states supplied?
- Can you provide documentation of financial health?
- Have you ever had to conduct a FDA recall? If so, for how long?
- When was your most recent FDA inspection? What was the result?
- Do you have an International Organization for Standardization (ISO) registration number?
The Supplier Checklist is a project of the HIDA Industrial Base Working Group. The Working Group collaborates with federal partners to provide industry perspectives on strategic and thoughtful approaches to build on the industrial base for critical medical products.
Health Industry Distributors Association (HIDA) represents the healthcare distribution network – the essential link between global healthcare supply manufacturers and local care providers. HIDA members operate more than 500+ distribution centers to bring critical products, supplies, and services to more than 560,000 healthcare settings across the U.S., including hospitals, long-term care, physician practices, home care, and laboratories. Visit HIDA.org.