The third response package totals over $2 trillion, and as passed by the Senate includes:
- Provides over $100 billion for hospitals, community health centers, and public health funding
- Increases preparedness funding by $27 billion
- Expands FEMA disaster assistance fund by $45 billion
- Cuts business taxes
- Expands unemployment benefits
- Provides small business loans and grants
HIDA Government Affairs will provide more in-depth analysis following final passage.
The President has also invoked several Executive Orders to assist in the Agency response including the Defense Production Act (DPA) which grants the President the authority, in the interest of national defense, to direct what the private sector produces. At this time, while the President has invoked part of the DPA, he has not yet used it to direct additional manufacturing efforts. There have been increased calls for the President to implement DPA by certain members of Congress as well as some private sector industries. At this time, the Administration has said the private sector has been cooperative and the use of DPA is not yet necessary.