New Patient Volumes Chartbook Tracks Healthcare Demand
Alexandria, VA, March 1, 2023
– Patient volumes at ambulatory surgery centers have rebounded to surpass pre-pandemic levels, while other care settings are experiencing a slower recovery since November 2021. These findings headlined the latest Patient Volumes Chartbook published by the Health Industry Distributors Association.
To help its members better track demand trends, HIDA – in collaboration with its endorsed data partner Clarivate – has created the Patient Volumes Chartbook
. This new monthly member benefit includes original, detailed analysis on recent activity in six key market segments: ambulatory surgery centers, hospital outpatient, hospital inpatient, labs, physician offices, and skilled nursing facilities. Data for the Patient Volumes Chartbook
was compiled from Clarivate claims dataset representing more than 32 billion insurance claims and more than 220 million patients.
Among the findings:
Patient volume at ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) was up 7 percent from November 2022 to November 2021, and up 4 percent since November 2019.
- November 2022 hospital inpatient volumes remained below pre-pandemic levels – declining 7 percent year-over-year and down 17 percent since November 2019.
- Lab volume remained steady. November 2022 lab volume showed 0 percent growth compared with November 2021. However, lab volume remained 14 percent below pre-pandemic levels from November 2019.
- Physician office patient volume for November 2022 was down 4 percent year-over-year and down 8 percent from November 2019.
- Patient volume at skilled nursing facilities is 29 percent lower than November 2019 levels.
Health Industry Distributors Association (HIDA) represents the healthcare distribution network – the essential link between global healthcare supply manufacturers and local care providers. HIDA members operate more than 500+ distribution centers to bring critical products, supplies, and services to more than 560,000 healthcare settings across the U.S., including hospitals, long-term care, physician practices, home care, and laboratories. Visit HIDA.org.