HIDA’s 2023 advocacy successes continue to position the medical product distribution industry as a trusted resource for policymakers. Check out highlights from HIDA’s legislative and policy work that advanced industry priorities in 2023.
Our advocacy focuses on the House Energy and Commerce and the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) Committees. In 2023, we added the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee. HIDA’s team conducted over 180 meetings in the House and Senate to amplify the healthcare distributor message.
- Congress introduced legislation advancing HIDA’s key priority, Fast Pass Act, H.R. 6140. Fast Pass will prioritize medical supplies at U.S. ports during an emergency.
- The Pandemic and All Hazards Preparedness Act (PAHPA):
- HIDA submitted industry recommendations to House and Senate requests for information on PAHPA.
- Policies beneficial to distributors were included.
- HIDA joined 100 stakeholders in a letter to House and Senate leadership calling for PAHPA reauthorization.
- Executives from member companies held 84 lobbying visits on Capitol Hill at our annual Washington Summit.
- HIDA facilitated constituent meetings between our members with their Congressional offices throughout the year.
The Biden Administration
On regulatory matters, our advocacy focuses on the White House Offices of Preparedness Policy, Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Through a cooperative agreement with the HHS’s Administration for Strategic Preparedness and Response (ASPR), HIDA ensures healthcare distributors and manufacturer partners have a seat at the table.
- HIDA's Annual Preparedness Summit:
- 30+ government leaders from HHS and FDA joined medical distribution executives for exchange on supply chain resiliency.
- Attendees engaged in interactive roundtables planning sessions designed to improve collaboration in future pandemics.
- HIDA published the “Traffic Protocol Partnership: Monitoring The Medical Product Supply Chain,” which provided guidance on communication during a health emergency.
- Joined leaders from the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) in 10 regional public health meetings across the country.
- HIDA conducted a 4-webinar series to educate stakeholders about HHS’s supply chain role.
- Released the Supplier Checklist to help healthcare providers and public partners vet unfamiliar suppliers of healthcare products.
HIDA provides the industry voice on regulations impacting all aspects of healthcare, such as workforce and reimbursement issues.
For more information, click here or reach out to the GA team:
- HIDA hosted a webinar with FDA on Drug Supply Chain Security Act (DSCSA) compliance.
- We flagged concerns with the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s) ethylene oxide (EtO) rule and its impact on the availability of sterile product.
- We shared industry perspective on the impact of the nursing home staffing mandate rule on the healthcare continuum.