October 2, 2020
COVID-19 Vaccine Orders Will Include Needles And Syringes
HHS has announced that kits with all ancillary supplies needed to administer the COVID-19 vaccine will be included with each vaccine shipment. These Ancillary Kits will include needles, syringes, alcohol prep pads and certain PPE. Ancillary Kits and will be automatically ordered in amounts to match vaccine orders. There is no need for providers to order these supplies in anticipation of administering the vaccine.
Ancillary Kits: What They Will Contain
Each Ancillary Kit will have enough supplies to administer 100 doses of the vaccine, including:
- Needles, 105 per kit (various sizes for the population served by the ordering vaccination provider)
- Syringes, 105 per kit
- Alcohol prep pads, 210 per kit
- 4 surgical masks and 2 face shields for vaccinators, per kit
- COVID-19 vaccination record cards for vaccine recipients, 100 per kit
- Not included in Ancillary Kits are sharps containers, gloves, bandages or gowns.
- For COVID-19 vaccines that require reconstitution with diluent or mixing adjuvant at the point of administration, these ancillary supply kits will include additional necessary syringes, needles, and other supplies for this purpose.
- Ancillary supply kits and diluent (if required) will ship separately from the vaccine due to different cold chain requirements, but shipment will be timed to arrive with or before the vaccine.
For more details, see page 25 of the COVID-19 Vaccination Program Interim Playbook: Interim Playbook►
Other Important Information Regarding COVID Vaccine Distribution
- CDC will use its centralized distribution contract to fulfill orders for most vaccine products and associated ancillary supplies.
- Some vaccine products, such as those with ultra-cold temperature requirements, will be shipped directly from the manufacturer to the vaccination provider site.
- COVID-19 vaccine and ancillary supplies will be procured and distributed by the federal government at no cost to enrolled COVID-19 vaccination providers. CDC will share more information about reimbursement claims for administration fees as it becomes available.
- Vaccine (and adjuvant or diluent, if required) will be shipped to provider sites within 48 hours of order approval by the immunization program, if supply is available.
The Operation Warp Speed Strategy for Distributing a COVID-19 Vaccine: Strategic Distribution Overview►